[Kolab-devel] Resource Management in Kolab 3.0

Heiner Markert mephisto at gmx.net
Tue Mar 13 16:54:21 CET 2012

Am Tuesday 13 March 2012 10:27:07 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems):
> On 2012-03-12 14:33, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) wrote:
> > As per http://wiki.kolab.org/Kolab_3.0_Resource_Management
> >

> Some additional questions came to mind;
>
> - Where are (the calendars for) two identical resources (going to be)
> stored in IMAP?
>
>    Do we think shared/resources/Cars/Car #1 and
> shared/resources/Cars/Car #2 for two cars that are exactly the same, the
> nested level "Cars" indicating they are two of the same perhaps? Would
> that scale up to:
>
>      - shared/resources/Cars with Stickshift/
>      - shared/resources/Cars with Powersteering/
>      - (...)
>
>    To be honest, I don't think so.

Hi,

I do not think that this will scale: suppose you have four cars in the following configurations:
a) automatic gear, 5 seats
b) automatic gear, 7 seats
c) manual gear, 5 seats
d) manual gear, 7 seats.
How should the hierarchy look like? You will end up with four classes, each containing a single object, even in this simple example

Would it be possible to have several resource classes (e.g. "car", "room", ...), each with certain attributes (e.g. "automatic gear", "number of seats" for cars, "number of seats" or "beamer installed" for rooms, ...). Now if the user needs a car, he would request a resource of type "car" and could specify any special attributes that he requires (e.g. number of seats at least 6). The server should than be able to optimally assign the available resources.

Best regards
Heiner