[Kolab-devel] New attributeType kolabTargetFolder for objectClass kolabSharedFolder

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Wed Mar 7 21:47:48 CET 2012

Am Mittwoch, 7. März 2012, 18:38:46 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen:

Hi Jeroen,

> entries the kolabSharedFolder objectClass.

> With a kolabTargetFolder

> Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Gripes?

I think you gave a very valid rational for the need of such an attribute in
large organisations.

Some comments though:

1. Did you consider to use a kolab group account in order to fullfill the
requirement?

2. I prefer to call these folders "public folders" today instead of "shared
folders".

Rational: Shared folders are folders of individual or group users which carry
ACLs which grant access to other users/groups beyond the owner.

(Yes I am aware of the fact that I wrongly introduced this term in Kolab.)

3. I am in general fine with adding the new attribute kolabTargetFolder to the
objectclass kolabSharedFolder.

4. The definition of the new attribute should imho be improved because it is
hard to fix it later.

+attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.19414.2.1.8
+  NAME 'kolabTargetFolder'
+  DESC 'Target for a Kolab Shared Folder delivery'
+  EQUALITY caseIgnoreIA5Match
+  SUBSTR caseIgnoreIA5SubstringsMatch
+  SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26{256}
+  SINGLE-VALUE )

I think that limiting the names of the target folders to ASCII is not a good
idea (IMAP already allows many non ASCII chars) and doing non case sensitive
matches is not suitable. Instead I propose to allow for all valid IMAP
foldernames and do case sensitive matches. With regards to matching I want to
refer to the newest LDAP RFCs.

I think 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15{512} would be fine but it would require
that you change the syntax slightly as the Directory String does not allow
zero-length strings. On the other hand PrintableCharacter or
PrintableCharacter might be alternatives.

Proposal (based on Directory String):

attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.19414.2.1.8
  NAME 'kolabTargetFolder'
  DESC 'Target for a Kolab Shared Folder delivery'
  EQUALITY caseExactMatch
  SUBSTR caseExactSubstringsMatch
  SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15{512}
  SINGLE-VALUE )

Please also check with RFC 3501 "5.1.3.  Mailbox International Naming
Convention" which refers to RFC 2152 (UTF-7).

While the encoding of a Directory String is UTF-8 of course IMAP requires a
conversion to UTF-7 whenever an IMAP mailbox (i.e. a folder) is refered.

(I am not aware that OpenLDAP direclty supports a UTF-7 string syntax)

The requirement for case sensitive matches can be dropped according to
IMAP4rev1 but I think that the future will be case sensitive IMAP mailbox
names.

Regards,
-- martin

e r f r a k o n
Sitz: Adolfstraße 23, 70469 Stuttgart, Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126
http://www.erfrakon.com/