[Kolab-devel] Fwd: RE: New Kolab Website Live

Del delonly at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 22:04:15 CET 2012

Hello Georg,

Congratulations with the new web-site, it looks really nice. As a long time
Kolab user it is very interesting to see the transition in packaging. Gunnar
was not the only one caught by surprise by the abandonment of openpkg. I have
seen the discussions, but I was unaware that you had already made the
transition.

I am thrilled to see packages offered by you as out-lined here:
http://hosted.kolabsys.com/~vanmeeuwen/kolab-docs/en-
US/Kolab_Groupware/2.4/html/Community_Installation_Guide/sect-
Community_Installation_Guide-Installation-Repository_Configuration.html#sect-
Community_Installation_Guide-Installation_with_APT_Packages
This is something I have been longing for for some time, and I think it will
significantly help to spread the interest in Kolab.

I looked through the conditions here:
http://mirror.kolabsys.com/pub/
Point 1-4 is fine. Point 5 and 6 I find more alienating. Point 5 may suggest
that security updates are withhold from the community on purpose for no good
reason.  Point 6 may suggest that Kolab has moved to an open core model. Re-
phrasing them may be sufficient. Point 1 may of course provide an explanation
for those two, so please share your thoughts on community involvement in
packaging?

BTW, I loved the foreword you wrote in "Open Advice" :)

Cheers,
Del