[Kolab-devel] libkolabxml version 0.1.0 released

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Feb 13 19:01:10 CET 2012

In our efforts to rebase the Kolab XML format on top of standards xCal and
xCard, XML notations for the iCal and vCard formats, we have established a
milestone I think is worth sharing with you.

Under the excellent supervision of Christian Mollekopf, also the author of KEP
#17[1], Kolab Systems has developed a Kolab XML library, with (currently)
bindings for PHP and Python, assisting programs and utilities written in those
languages with reading and writing the format.

Version 0.1.0, a pre-pre-prerelease, includes abilities to read, parse and
write xCal for events and xCard for contacts.

>From here on, we are seeking to outline what other requirements would be
required from libkolabxml - which is supposed to remain a light, thin library
- by looking at the interfaces to the data and functionality of the library
client implementers need.

In order to do so, we have decided to branch off from the master branch, and
release version 0.1.0 for early adopters willing to work with us on the format
specification and implementaiton for Kolab 3.0.

You can find the tarball for this release at the following location;

    https://git.kolab.org/libkolabxml/snapshot/libkolabxml-0.1.0.tar.gz

Work will now focus on implementing the xCal and xCard format library in
client applications like Kontact and Roundcube, proofing out the format's
feasibility and sustainability, as well as the libkolabxml API features, with
a watchful eye on thread-safety and such as well - even before work shifts
back to implementing the other groupware objects such as Journal, Notes and
Tasks.

Your help is welcome, of course, so if you code C++, PHP and/or Python, or you
need bindings for a different language, you can be a part of all of this.

Please don't hesitate to contact me for more details and we'll hook you up so
you can hit the ground running.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1] https://wiki.kolab.org/User:Mollekopf/Drafts/KEP:18