[Kolab-devel] Kolab3.0beta/Debian: Sending mail from Roundcube fails

Administrators ITSEF itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Thu Dec 6 08:46:10 CET 2012

Quoting "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:

> A later version of pykolab (0.5.8-6 iirc) includes a setup-kolab that
> fixes this, by providing / writing out /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf
[...]

Thanks - I'll try that! That's issue1398, if I'm not mistaken? I saw
that, but apparently didn't connect the dots... Also, you've
indirectly answered my question from another mail ("How to deal
correctly with updates?") - apparently, at this moment in time updates
to packages like pykolab do nothing to actually implement such updates
on an existing system, which means one still has to make all relevant
changes (like the one you're describing in this mail) oneself - even
if the upgraded package has been installed.

In this case: I had pykolab 0.5.8-4 and the upgrade replaced it with
0.5.8-6, but /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf did not get written (which
is actually something I would expect from an update). That's not a
show stopper (it's "beta" after all), but a) I'd like to be clear
about this and b) in my opinion, this should be resolved in the longer
term.

Right now, I'd like to make the following suggestion: Each Debian
packages has a changelog in /usr/share/doc - how about adding an
alinea about fixes like this one where the admin still needs to
perform some manual changes after the upgrade has been installed?
Alternatively, this information could be added to the bug report, as
the issue number is usually mentioned in the changelog. I know that in
principle, this information can be extracted from the bug report, but
in many cases, the actual fix is spread across several messages, so a
summary like "In case of an update you need to ..." would be of great
help.

Cheerio,

Thomas