[Kolab-devel] [issue4834] Corrupted index in connection with Virtual Box caused an Event loss

aheinecke issues at kolab.org
Mon Apr 2 12:45:16 CEST 2012

This is a starting point to be further qualified so that we can get to the
bottom of this problem. I realize that the unexact nature of this report ist not
good. So i am keeping this assigned to me trying to provide more exact
information. This was the first time during "wild testing" that I saw an Event
loss connected to a corrupted index so I wanted to note down as much as possible.

Version 1.2.9 (enterprise35 20120322.0d8ab49)

Test Setup
3 Accounts working on one shared Calendar.
User A (owner of the calendar)
User B
User C

1. Created 14 Events moved them around synced, suspended, resumed quite a bit.
2. A Virtual Box error on resume made it necessary to discard the machine state
on User B. On startup a filesystem check is run.

Now after starting up User B's machine and starting Kontact I reached the broken
state (Screenshot attached):
- There were 5 Messages marked as unread. On selecting them they did not get
marked and they showed no content. I could not even get the Messages Source (as
you can with the empty mails).

- From the 14 Events only one was shown in the Calendar view.
- When clicking on a Event Mail in the Kmail view of the Calendar folder it
changed into an empty mail with only X-UID and X-Length.
- After Sync there were 9 normal mails and 5 red unread mails
- Only the 9 normal mails in the calendar folder were shown in the Calendar view

3. User A: Syncs
Nothing happens for him everything looks the same only the empty mails show up
in his Calendar folder.

User A: modifies one of the Events that is now shown in User B's calendar
User B: syncs
The modified event is now shown in User B's calendar.

Now comes User C:
Syncs -> sees everything as user A but 1 event is missing. User B gets 13 empty
mails, and 13 valid kolab mails.

Now that event is also removed on the server when User A syncs it is gone.

Additional note:
The moment that User B restarts Kontact everything is fine again and is shown
like in User A's Kontact.
File 'screenshot_corrupt-calendar-folder.png' not attached - you can download it from https://roundup.kolab.org/file1713.

assignedto: aheinecke
files: screenshot_corrupt-calendar-folder.png
keyword: enterprise35, kde client
messages: 28674
nosy: aheinecke, allen, emanuel, laurent, ludwig, sergio, till, vkrause
priority: critical
status: unread
title: Corrupted index in connection with Virtual Box caused an Event loss