[Kolab-devel] [MAJOR UPDATE] KEP #14: Non-conflicting edits of RFC5228/Sieve scripts by multiple editors

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Thu Sep 15 10:06:33 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 07 September 2011 14.05:44 Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> - If a 'global' variable namespace were defined and valid, setting 'editor'
> and 'editor_version' in this namespace (i.e. globally) is negating the
> possibilty to track which Sieve editor has (last) written out a particular
> Sieve script.

Well, each script can be read individually. But you may be right that global
is the wrong namespace.

> - Furthermore, I'm afraid perhaps we're storing the editor and version
> twice; Once in the mandatory and immutable USER script, and once in the
> user specific script.

But what about scripts that are currently inactive? These would not be listed
in USER, so there would be no information on their editor and its version.

> Perhaps what we want / need is that USER specifies;
>
> set 'editor' 'my left and right hands'
> set 'editor_version' 'insert your date of birth here'
>
> and forget about providing the name and version in a comment in USER /
> through set commands in the included script?

What if there is more than one editor?

What if there is one script that is hand crafted to "do something magic" and
just gets activated in the chain, while all the rest is written by a specific
editor?

> - Additionally;
>
> """Manually edited scripts MUST be designated with the value 'MANUAL' for
> editor and 'NONE' for its version and MUST always be considered read-only by
> all editors."""
>
> KEP #14 compatible users?

Well, if an installation is using this mechanism, users may want a way to
protect their scripts from being edited.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve