[Kolab-devel] Branch '2.3-stable' - 2 commits - kolabd/kolabd.spec release-notes.txt

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Sep 14 13:41:30 CEST 2011

Hi Gunnar,

please have your reply go back to the list as well.

On 14.09.2011 11:57, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Quoting "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)"
> <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:

>>> *Absolutely not*. Why has this been reverted without further
>>> communication?
>>>

>> "Why has this been committed without further communication?"
>>
>> We can go back and forth like that, but it's pointless.
>
> Not at all. I would appreciate an answer.

Your question is two-fold; "why has this been reverted?" and "without
further communication?".

We can trust Christoph he has had his reasons to revert the commit, and
I'm sure he'll answer your question. The issue of "without further
communication" is one that goes both ways, though, and this we can in
fact go back and forth on. Pointless.

> And if you think it is
> necessary for me to first explain my side that is okay for me.

Well, it *turns out* some explanation is needed in order for Christoph
to make sure that, should the original commit now reverted indeed be or
have been necessary, work towards integrating the commit instead of
backing it out. Apparently he did not understand why the commit had been
necessary, didn't see the relevance for the 2.3.3 release and choose to
back it out. Should you strongly feel the commit is necessary, or be the
commit necessary without you necessarily feeling strong about it, I'm
sure Christoph will appreciate the full extent of your rationale -which
is pending.

>> What caused apache-php::with_filter to need to be added to the
>> requirements for kolabd precisely? Is there a ticket or another
>> reference?
>
> There is no such ticket. Is one needed?

No, but a ticket or other reference would have enabled us to circle
back and review what the commit was originally for, hence I'm asking.

The original question still stands: What caused apache-php::with_filter
to need to be added to the requirements for kolabd precisely?

> I was not aware of this
> requirement and to me it would seem like a change to the requirements
> for commits from the community. So I'd like to get a pointer on where
> I should have picked up that information.

You are assuming a ticket has been made a requirement somehow, but
nobody said nor suggested it is/was. Is it because I'm asking what the
reason for the new requirement is/was?

> Does your request imply that any commit from the community without an
> associated ticket gets reverted automatically?

Not at all.

As the name of the branch suggests, -stable and all that, we are
expecting to only issue bug-fixes and perhaps, exceptionally, small
feature enhancements that require no manual intervention nor
configuration changes, that in the judgement of all under the lead of
the Release Manager are requested and accepted.

Since we only expect bug-fixes, I think it is not at all too
unreasonable to expect that what can reasonably be expected to be a fix,
to be committed because a ticket had been raised somewhere. That
expectancy does not make it a requirement, it merely justifies someone
asking *if* that has just so happened to be the case -as, like I said,
for most issues, a reference can reasonably be expected.

--
Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--