[Kolab-devel] [MAJOR UPDATE] KEP #14: Non-conflicting edits of RFC5228/Sieve scripts by multiple editors

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Sep 7 15:05:44 CEST 2011

Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There has been a very good and intensive discussion of some of the
> underlying ideas and concepts of KEP #14 with contributions by Jeroen &
> Alec, in particular. Thanks so much for your input, this has been most
> helpful!

I'm confused with the variables 'global.editor' and 'global.editor_version';

- 'global' is a namespace (thanks to the '.' delimiter), but the variables
Sieve extension only allows namespacing variables through extensions defining
variables for their own namespace.

- If a 'global' variable namespace were defined and valid, setting 'editor'
and 'editor_version' in this namespace (i.e. globally) is negating the
possibilty to track which Sieve editor has (last) written out a particular
Sieve script.

- Furthermore, I'm afraid perhaps we're storing the editor and version twice;
Once in the mandatory and immutable USER script, and once in the user specific
script.

Perhaps what we want / need is that USER specifies;

set 'editor' 'my left and right hands'
set 'editor_version' 'insert your date of birth here'

and forget about providing the name and version in a comment in USER / through
set commands in the included script?

- Additionally;

"""Manually edited scripts MUST be designated with the value 'MANUAL' for
editor and 'NONE' for its version and MUST always be considered read-only by
all editors."""

KEP #14 compatible users?

- A small wikiwiki syntax error using \t (tabs) in the example user specific
script is causing the markup to fail. Please start the line with a single \s
(space) character, and not a tab.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--