[Kolab-devel] [issue4795] Kontact shows/duplicates deleted messages

Thomas Ribbrock issues at kolab.org
Thu Oct 20 09:32:54 CEST 2011

I am filing this bug report to have a starting point for investigating this -
initially, I'm afraid it will not be sufficient to track this down, but maybe
with some help I can provide more information.

This problem has been causing trouble for many of our users over the past
months: In some situations, Kontact shows mails in the Inbox-message list of an
online IMAP account that have long since been deleted/moved to other folders. In
some cases, the message even gets duplicated, albeit the one in the Inbox is
being marked as "deleted" (as verified via Horde). Our usual response over the
past months has been "delete all index files", which usually brought temporary
relief, but never for long. According to my second IT colleague, this has become
so prevalent that "removing index files" is almost a daily occurrence.

The most recent case is a bit more interesting, I think: For one user, I have
recently removed the complete ~/.kde directory (which includes the Kontact
configuration and all local caches/indices, as far as I know) and reconfigured
Kontact using the Kolabwizard (see issue4793). Despite this, this user came back
to me just a day later with the problem described above: His Inbox showed
messages he had already deleted, both from before and after(!) the
reconfiguration. In this particular case, they even showed up in the
webmail/Horde, marked as deleted. Only when he removed them in the webmail, they
vanished in Kontact as well.

Background: We are using a central file server, serving all $HOME directories
via NFS4 to the workstations - pretty much standard configuration for a
Unix/Linux shop. As the performance of DIMAP accounts in this configuration has
proven to be atrocious right from the start a few years back, we switched to
split accounts (DIMAP for groupware/IMAP for mail) as soon as that was possible.
Hence, using DIMAP for mail (which seems to have less problems) is not an option.

Versions:
kontact --version
Qt: 3.3.8b
KDE: 3.5.10
Kontact: 1.2.9 (enterprise35 20110825.548f2ad)

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        10.04
Codename:       lucid

In fact, we're using Kubuntu 10.04, which means KDE 4.4.5.

keyword: enterprise35, kde client
messages: 28295
nosy: itsef_admin
priority: urgent
status: unread
title: Kontact shows/duplicates deleted messages