[Kolab-devel] Is IMAP still the right choice?

ABBAS Alain alain.abbas at libertech.fr
Wed Nov 30 11:18:35 CET 2011

Hello
My Kolab experience is now of 3 years and i wrote some extension (Z-push backend) and have some big
customers who use Kolab
For me Imap is not a good storage and have some lacks that is painfull
1) the speed and performance
we must for each client to cache everything to have a "good" performances
2) not really full search functionnality (try to search for an event for example without cache who is a really
a bad thing on a big calendar (you must iterate all the mails .....)
3) duplicate info for some groupware object ( not easy without a lot of code to have for example things like free busy
or the status....)
4) lack on the permissions Impossible to have a granularity like a bdd or LDAP (example PRivate sensitivity who is
just a software bit in the format we have with imap just
5) buggy duplication info the software must control for example the UID duplication that is a pain and a lost of time

This is for me the 4 main reasons to think to another storage for Kolab

Alain Abbas

Libertech