[Kolab-devel] Kolab Webservice initiative

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Nov 8 09:26:36 CET 2011

Hi Hendrik,
just noticed that you have started to publish more about
a Kolab Webserver product that you are developing.

  https://evolvis.org/projects/kolab-ws/

That is very cool! Can you tell us more about this?
We also should put it in the wiki.kolab.org if you have not done so.

Aobut the goals you have stated:

  Goals:
  * Simpler Kolab client development
  Kolab clients can be developed in a more secure and easy way if they use the
  abstraction layer which is provided by the Kolab webservice. Kolab clients
  can use a well defined more high level interface and does not need to deal
  with Kolab XML parsing/writing and the IMAP protocol.

  * Data consistency
  With the Kolab Webservice the data consistency on the Kolab server can be
  enforced and it is not possible to store invalid Kolab data any more.

Yes, up to a point any access layer would insolate against the lower layers.
It would be cool to have more helper libraries that can make client
development easier. Maybe having others in C, C++ or Python, too.
One cool other idea would be to use the same backend as the modern Kontact
Clients on the server as well. I guess it is all a matter of the interface
and design to keep that scaling.

  * No concurrency conflicts
  Conflicts if Kolab clients are accessing the Kolab server concurrently
  can be avoided with the Kolab Webservice.

I wonder how you are aiming to solve this one. When establishing the Kolab
concept it got clear that conflicts cannot be avoided from a conceptual point
of view. You would have to either give up scaling or change the human
nature. ;)

Again thanks for publishing Free Software and growing the Kolab Community!

Best Regards,
Bernhard

--
Managing Director + Owner: www.Intevation.net <- A Free Software Company
Kolabsys.com: Board Member          FSFE.org: Founding GA Member