[Kolab-devel] FYI: Experimenting with xCard & xCal

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Wed Nov 2 16:23:46 CET 2011

Hi all,

Kolab XML has been required because of interoperability issues and problems
with the iCal & vCard standards which were used in Kolab Version 1.

Meanwhile some time has passed and people have tried to resolve these issues
in various ways, including the Calendaring and Scheduling Consortium
(http://calconnect.org) which is working to improve real-life interoperability
between applications and have been linked in with the IETF where a set of new
RFCs that have come out in August 2011, so just a few months ago.

Looking at the issues we've seen and discussed internally for our format,
these RFC processes have come to much the same conclusions on a wide variety
of issues, so seem compatible with everything we've thought through thus far.

These RFCs include the new vCard [1] & xCard [2] standards as well as xCal [3]
standards and CalConnect provides an XSD description [4] under Apache License
version 2 (so GPLv3 compatible) which allows to directly generate code to deal
with xCal, including a repository of extensions for some vendors. This is
likely going to be used by a great number of applications in the future.

So we're wondering to which extent these new standards may have resolved the
issues we encountered with Kolab Version 1, and some of us are curious enough
that we're planning to run a little experimentation.

If you're interested in participating, please feel free to get involved. :)

Best regards,
Georg

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6350/?include_text=1
[2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6351/?include_text=1