[Kolab-devel] Thoughts on Caching for Integrated Apps

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed May 11 00:10:50 CEST 2011

Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Hi Jeroen,
>
> Zitat von "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > I figured some of you may have a level of interest in;
> >
> >   http://planet.ergo-project.org/blog/jmeeuwen/2011/04/16/thoughts-kolab-
> >
> > and-3rd-party-application-caching
>
> All of the suggestions would mean we would move away from the IMAP
> protocol. And that would severely limit the options that you have when
> it comes to choosing the backend. Right now it can be any IMAP server
> and I consider that very important.

The statement on "moving away from IMAP" is only partly true; what the second
access protocol to the IMAP mailbox store would allow a program to do is
correlative querying - way more efficient then iterating the database contents
through the IMAP protocol.

The alternative is to implement a cache on the "client"-side -e.g. the third
party server application, which becomes rather expensive very quickly.

For example, a CalDAV server sitting on top of the Cyrus IMAP mailbox store
would do the exact same thing; the folders with event folder-type annotations
would be parsed, giving the (real) client a CalDAV protocol interface to
speak.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--