[Kolab-devel] New KEP #10: Kolab SMTP Access Policy

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Fri Jul 15 10:28:06 CEST 2011

In reponse to Gunnar's response forwarded to kolab-devel, please find here my
response to his response.

Thank you ;-)

Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Hi Jeroen,
>
> Quoting "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've written an informational KEP on Kolab's SMTP Access Policy,
> > which I would
> > like you to review;
> >
> >   http://wiki.kolab.org/User:Kanarip/Draft:Kolab_SMTP_Access_Policy
>
> currently the wording of the KEP gives me the impression that is a
> description of the current status quo on the Kolab Server. I admit
> that I lacked the time to validate if you describe the current
> mechanisms or if there is any change to the current policies involved.
> If there is no change I wonder if there is any need for a KEP.

It is an informational KEP indeed, but one that intends to outline how the
Kolab SMTP Access Policy is supposed to work.

For example, it seems to me kolabAllowSMTPFrom (which I want to rename to
kolabAllowSMTPSender) is not implemented.

Equally important is the fact the policy is executed;

1) at a particular moment in the set of *_restrictions,
2) either for sender or recipient verification, or both, with or without
allowing unauthenticated senders,
3) once per recipient.

Important are also an enhancement that enables a Kolab SMTP Access Policy to
cache previously obtained results, and a description of how the policy
matching should work.

> If
> there is a change to the current procedures and code involved I would
> expect this to be highlighted in the KEP. Pretty much like Georg also
> described the associated upgrade path and possible incompatibilites in
> most of his KEPs.

Code has most definitely been created, but not so much changed, in order to
allow what is described in the KEP as the way the Kolab SMTP Access Policy
should work.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--