[Kolab-devel] pear.kolab.org and module thoughts

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Wed Jan 19 16:31:33 CET 2011

Zitat von "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:

> Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> Zitat von "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:
>> > I suppose if a generic module is called Kolab_Cache, then it's backend
>> > specific routines are either in Kolab/Cache/$tech.php or in seperate
>> > Kolab_Cache_$tech modules -reasonable?
>>
>> Yes. Horde packages have a tendency to implement the different drivers as
>> Kolab/Cache/$tech.php within a single module. The dependencies coming
>> with $tech
>> are then usually marked as "optional". You can also extract
>> Kolab/Cache/$tech.php
>> into separate modules. Again such modules would be "optional" dependencies
>> for Kolab_Cache.
>>
>> I do see a small advantage for the "Kolab/Cache/$tech.php within one
>> module" strategy: There is no fragmentation of the internal API over
>> package boundaries.
>> I would assume that the $tech's have a stable API and that Kolab_Cache has
>> a stable API. But I can imagine that adding $tech+1 or fixing bugs might
>> make changes on the internal interfaces between Kolab_Cache and $tech's
>> necessary. Keeping that within one package should give you some more
>> flexibility.
>>

> Long story short, while in the beginning Kolab/Cache/ may very well
> be part of
> one and the same pear module, we have to allow ourselves to break out one or
> the other particular $tech.
>
> For example, some distributions ship pgsql 8.4, others are still on 8.1. Same
> goes for mysql -even though distributions are, generally speaking, somehat in
> the same grander area of version ranges, we *MUST* maintain the ability to
> break out a $tech from the generic module so that we can address dependencies
> on the deployment platform.
>
> Which module are we going to start out with?

Kolab_Format. It is the most basic one, has few dependencies, and
already a few consumers.

Concerning git.kolab.org we are all set and could import the code.
Where should issues
be reported to? And I would be happy if we could have CI from the
start as that helps
with the initial renaming/refactorings that will be necessary.

Cheers,

Gunnar

--
Core Developer