[Kolab-devel] On the road to Kolab 3.0

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Dec 12 12:19:47 CET 2011

Quoting Christoph Wickert <wickert at kolabsys.com>:

> On Monday 12 December 2011 11:02:55 Del wrote:
>
>> From what you are saying it sounds like the extensions to Roundcube will
>> not be accepted upstream, meaning that the maintenance and development
>> responsibilities will be solely on the shoulders of Kolab-devs.
>
> No, they were written by upstream. The people doing Kolab for Roundcube are
> Thomas (founder or Roundcube) and Alec (most active Roundcube developer). The
> cooperation has turned out to be very beneficial for both projects, a lot of
> code that went into Roundcube 0.6 was developed as part of the Kolab
> integration.
>
>> Horde on the other hand supports full groupware functionality upstream, and
> already has a history with Kolab, with all that entails.
>
> That is only partly true.
>
> Working on Horde always suffered from the fact that Kolab was still using
> Horde 3 while Horde upstream was already working in Horde 4 for
> quite a while.
> Unfortunately there was no reliable schedule, so for us it was unclear if we
> should spend time on H3 or H4. This prevented us from upstreaming our changes
> and Gunnar was the only one to maintain them.
>
> So in the end Horde does not support Kolab upstream: H3 needs a whole lot of
> changes and H4 for Kolab is not yet finished.
>
>> Just venting my concerns really. Maybe Gunnar can shed some light on this?
>
> Yes please. What I' like to know is when H4 for Kolab will be released [1]

I'm in bugfixing mode. The alpha version should be out next Tuesday at
the latest. I'm not happy with the amount of bugs it still has, but
well... I guess it will be hard to compete with the slicker Roundcube
design until April next year. But as Horde LLC has the redesign as the
main topic for the current release cycle (Horde does half-yearly
cycles since 4.0) I'm looking forward to next year :)

> and
> if it is really upstream, means, that it only requires a few additional
> modules but no patches.

Yes. Horde 4.0 for the Kolab server is a Horde LLC product and differs
from Horde 4.0 on SQL only in terms of configuration and components
installed (SQL does not need the Horde_Kolab_* packages of course).

I will try to increase in verbosity on Horde 4 on Kolab once I'm
pushing the packages. People interested can of course already check
out the newer Horde_Kolab_* packages on http://pear.horde.org

Cheers,

Gunnar

--