[Kolab-devel] On the road to Kolab 3.0

Christoph Wickert wickert at kolabsys.com
Mon Dec 12 11:33:09 CET 2011

On Monday 12 December 2011 11:02:55 Del wrote:

> From what you are saying it sounds like the extensions to Roundcube will
> not be accepted upstream, meaning that the maintenance and development
> responsibilities will be solely on the shoulders of Kolab-devs.

No, they were written by upstream. The people doing Kolab for Roundcube are
Thomas (founder or Roundcube) and Alec (most active Roundcube developer). The
cooperation has turned out to be very beneficial for both projects, a lot of
code that went into Roundcube 0.6 was developed as part of the Kolab
integration.

> Horde on the other hand supports full groupware functionality upstream, and
already has a history with Kolab, with all that entails.

That is only partly true.

Working on Horde always suffered from the fact that Kolab was still using
Horde 3 while Horde upstream was already working in Horde 4 for quite a while.
Unfortunately there was no reliable schedule, so for us it was unclear if we
should spend time on H3 or H4. This prevented us from upstreaming our changes
and Gunnar was the only one to maintain them.

So in the end Horde does not support Kolab upstream: H3 needs a whole lot of
changes and H4 for Kolab is not yet finished.

> Just venting my concerns really. Maybe Gunnar can shed some light on this?

Yes please. What I' like to know is when H4 for Kolab will be released [1] and
if it is really upstream, means, that it only requires a few additional
modules but no patches. This is what we have with Roundcube now: No changes to
the codebase required, everything is implemented as plugins. Way easier to
maintain.

Regards,
Christoph

[1] On Google+ Gunnar mentioned that he will publish it "rather soon":
https://plus.google.com/u/0/100461300492650596246/posts/K3b1UQsM7GK

--
Christoph Wickert
Senior Engineer