[Kolab-devel] On the road to Kolab 3.0

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Mon Dec 12 10:10:04 CET 2011

On Sunday 11 December 2011 23.32:53 Del wrote:
> It will be interesting to look into the new Roundcube based web-interface.

FWIW, if you "just" want to test it on a non-productive, non-public system, we
can set you up with an account on a test/demo instance that is under active
development -- so may behave glitchy at times -- but would allow you to have a
look around.

You can request such an account by sending email to

	sysadmin-main+kolab at klab.cc

providing your name and email address with which you're subscribed on this
list.

> However, I am a bit in the dark with respect to how this relates to Horde.
> Is the intention to replace both Horde and the current web-admin? If so, I
> am a bit concerned with respect to developer resources.

Whose and which developer resources are you talking about?

Thus far it has been virtually exclusively Kolab Systems developing the server
after we took over from Intevation & KDAB. We have set up a paid project with
Alain's company to get Z-Push integrated, and he has afterwards continued to
contribute issue fixes as he was able to, but other than that the number of
outside contributions have been minimal.

So our estimation of feasibility involve primarily our own developers. That's
why we are quite optimistic we can make things happen, but we also finally want
to open up the process for contributions by others.

I don't think that more developers will likely allow us to do less, in fact we
really welcome contribution by the community, which is why we've invested the
effort to make this easier, and to provide a process by which others can hook
into the release process.

As to the two components you were talking about, they are obviously unrelated,
so need to be viewed separately. The web admin is hard-coded against a whole
set of assumptions, including a particular LDAP layout & schema which makes it
very hard to use this in the future.

So replacing it has become inevitable for allowing the kinds of deployments
we're seeing, but the efforts for this are not all that great, to be honest.

Or current goal for the next major release is just to get the new, modular,
extensible web admin to have the same capabilities as the current one has, and
to make sure a "green field" installation can do the same things that it can do
now with regards administration -- minus the ActiveSync configuration, that is,
as that is also in the clients, and putting it into the admin really was a
stopgap measure.

As for Horde, there are two parts to it: The framework & the client.

Although the process is not yet complete, it is now possible to use Roundcube
for Email, address book, calendar & mobile phone settings on Kolab. We will be
looking at Notes & Tasks as soon as we can, but for the moment this provides
the set of functionality that 95% of users are using regularly.

Of course, if someone on this list says that they really, really want to
support notes and contribute towards a module for that, we would gladly
support them in any way we can -- the effort would not be humongous.

If you're thinking about working on tasks, I'd strongly suggest to take a look
at http://zanshin.kde.org, in particular, as GTD based approaches are what we
would like to explore. The good news in this: Because Zanshin is still not
feature complete, trying to do the same on the web would be easier.

Again: Anyone who would like to work on either of these components would be
met with open arms. Naturally, it will remain possible to use Horde on top of
Kolab for as long as Horde supports its Kolab backend.

For that, the now ongoing development cycle should be quite helpful, in fact,
as the framework component is hard coded in Horde 3, which is deprecated by
Horde & Kolab is the only user, and translating it to Horde 4 will be quite a
task, so will keeping it up to date with the evolution of the format and such.

Having these aspects wrapped in a format & access library which are usable
from PHP should make that task a lot easier for anyone who wants to bring
Horde onto the new Kolab server, and of course we'll be happy to work with
anyone who wants to do this.

FWIW, the same is true if you have "your favorite client" that you really want
to see on the server. We can't promise developer resource, but otherwise we'll
be happy to provide you with the means of making that happen and work with you
in any way we can.

Best regards,
Georg

--