[Kolab-devel] On the road to Kolab 3.0

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sun Dec 11 22:41:15 CET 2011

Quoting "Georg C. F. Greve" <greve at kolabsys.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> As you may have seen from the news, there is now a new web client for the
> Kolab Server, based upon the popular Roundcube Webmailer. The new client
> supports email, address book and calendar, a KEP 14 compliant sieve
> editor and
> has a nice user interface to configure mobile phone synchronization.
>
> You can see some screen shots in the media release:
>
> 	http://kolabsys.com/index.php/resources/123-08-december-2011-
>
> The new web client has been developed in a sprint with and for a customer we
> cannot name, but all code has been up-streamed (giving the world the upcoming
> 0.7 release of Roundcube) or will be provided through our git repositories
> where Roundcube itself did not want to host the code, as it went beyond what
> the Roundcube core wants to provide, or was too Kolab specific.
>
> Naturally we're sure that many of you want to get your hands on this
> technology and play with it - in particular as Roundcube has a very easy to
> extend modular design and allows all sorts of plug-ins. So there is a lot of
> potential for extension and customization here.
>
> Due to the shortcomings of OpenPKG there is simply no way we can provide this
> on OpenPKG, however, so we've been working on a KVM image that can be run
> against a 2.3.* Kolab Server which Jeroen should provide an update for in the
> next days.

Can you clarify on those "shortcomings"? Not that I would like
OpenPKG. But as Roundcube is a PHP application it should be possible
to install it into the Kolab Server on OpenPKG. Would be far easier
than a KVM which does not sound like a good solution to be honest. Or
are there instructions on how to get the same thing on the Kolab
Server as well?

Cheers,

Gunnar