[Kolab-devel] State of Kontact Mail

Del delonly at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 21:18:07 CET 2011

Hello Andreas,

I understand your frustration, and I do see that you were kind of
between a rock and a hard place (needing new KDE packages triggering
transition to Kmail2). However, Kmail2 had been in the making for a
year. There was a genuine risk of loosing developer interest if it was
delayed any further. Just go back to the half year on this mailing
list leading up to the release, and you will see the dilemma,
frustration and concern for users. One really cannot iron out all the
issues you experience until the software is accessible to testers,
releasing it was necessary to get there. No matter how long the wait,
there were bound to be users like you. Becasue of users like you, the
release was postponed a half year longer than I would have preferred.

It is the responsibility of distributions to shelter users from access
to early. OpenSuse even being a distribution for testers gave you a
clear hint by not making Kmail2 available by default in 11.4. The
mantra "release early, release often" is very important for open
development. None of us have Microsoft's billions of dollars to pay
for testing and bug-fixing. We need to join our forces, and that can
only happen if people like me get early access to software. SLES,
Debian stable or RHEL would never consider releasing Kmail2 in it's
current condition. They will wait for the rest of us to struggle
through the issues. I use RHEL at work, I use Kubuntu 11.10 with
bleeding repos at home. My choice home is a conscious choice. When I
get tired of testing I just roll back to something less bleeding.

My advice to you is to refrain from bleeding edge software unless you
plan on spending a non-trivial amount of hours submitting bug-reports
and doing bug-hunting. Trust your distribution to give you what you
need, and consider going for a stable distribution at work. OpenSuse
and Fedora has on numerous occasions proven to be a disastrous choice
for enterprise computing. You really only have three options if you
want stable KDE, and that is SLES, RHEL or Debian Stable. Even Ubuntu
LTS is a bit on the bleeding end for KDE.

Moreover, consider settling with exactly what your distribution of
choice ships. Wait with all the new and fancy stuff (even if it annoys
you) until it trickles down to your distributions mainline repos.
Consider virtualisation if you really need some bleeding edge stuff
which can break your system. For complex software stacks like Kontact,
this rule is particularly important. Kmail1 is still the best client
out there, significantly better than the newest Thunderbird in my
book.

Cheers,
Del