[Kolab-devel] [Kde-pim] State of Kontact Mail

Del delonly at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 23:30:40 CET 2011

Just finished reading through the review. It seems they used the 4.7.0
version (which AFAIK is not default for OpenSuse 11.4), and even there
they bumped into more issues than I can remember from this summer. The
switch to Akonadi for Kmail had to be sooner or later, I am glad it
was sooner. It will have time to mature by the time we get RH7,
K/Ubuntu 12.04, the next Debian stable etc. The guys at Techradar
either has an agenda, or they do not have a clue. One thing is the
excess reference to strange bugs, but on a couple of occasions they
seem to be flat out dishonest (kontact is available for windows and
mac, on the "besides mail" part it should be pretty clear that Kontact
wins hands down).

As a Kontact fan for some years, and listening to numerous others
trying it out, I have a list of what I think is missing. Still, I
still firmly believe that Kontact objectively is the best groupware
client out there regardless of platform. My wish list for future
focus:
-Stabilisation and further performance improvement of akonadi and
nepomuk (I am thrilled to see how fast that has come along this fall).
-Better default choices (I believe a number of the default choices in
Kontact differs from the preferences of the majority), maybe a survey
could reveal this.
-Even simpler "add account wizard" (really love the work done already,
huge improvement over kde-pim wizards, this is actually the only part
where I agree with Techradar).
-Improved support for multiple calendars, in fact the whole gui needs
a work over. Outlook (or Thunderbird/Evolution for that matter) is
hardly much better at this, but that should not be the benchmark. For
companies with more than a few employees, juggling your colleague's
calendars (no, free/busy info is not sufficient) is a nightmare.
-Of course, a stable Windows and OSX client will also help increase the market.

I think we will see a healthy increase in Kontact adoption the coming
year. The most important stuff is already ironed out.

Thanks for all the great work!
Del