[Kolab-devel] Mail Filter Settings, explain please.

Robert Baldwin rbaldwin at bynari.net
Thu Apr 21 16:33:23 CEST 2011

Hello,  I need some assistance understanding the below features of the Kolab server.  I posted this question on the Kolab user's group and no one responded.  I hope that someone here has the expertise to answer my question.

What do these settings actually do? I am unable to determine this from
the description.

Check messages for mismatching From header and envelope from:
enabled: kolabfilter-verify-from-header: TRUE
disabed: kolabfilter-verify-from-header: FALSE

Use the Sender header instead of From for the above checks if Sender is
present :
enabled: kolabfilter-allow-sender-header: TRUE
disabled: kolabfilter-allow-sender-header: FALSE

Action to take for messages that fail the check: :
Reject the message, except if it originates from the outside and the
   From header matches one of Kolab server's domains. In that case rewrite
the From header so the recipient can see the potential forgery.
selected: kolabfilter-reject-forged-from-header: FALSE

Always reject the message. Note that enabling this setting will make the
server reject any mail with non-matching sender and From header if the
sender is an account on this server. This is known to cause trouble for
example with mailinglists.
selected: kolabfilter-reject-forged-from-header: TRUE

Best Regards,
Robert Baldwin