[Kolab-devel] Changes to master branch

Christoph Wickert wickert at kolabsys.com
Sat Apr 16 14:26:18 CEST 2011

Am Samstag, 16. April 2011, 12:08:39 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
Systems):
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to (quickly) decribe the changes I planned to bring to the master
> branch of the current server GIT repository;
>
> - split out kolab-webadmin, as-is.

+1

> - split out perl-Kolab, and reduce it to hold the perl libraries only.

+1

> - split out kolabd and remaining utilities

+1

>   - ultimately, 'kolab-conf' as a utility, along with its templates, and
> perhaps even it's perl library / packages, will also become its own
> repository (as it is an optional component to a Kolab Groupware
> deployment, and is mutually exclusive with other configuration management
> suites -to some extent).

+1. UGS (Univention Groupware server) is a good example of the Kolab concept
with a completely different configuration backend.

> - split out the kolab schema, because that is a dev/release cycle of its
> own completely (backwards, forwards compatibility, deemed stable in the
> very long- term, should not be changed lightly, etc.)

+1

>   This last bits have not yet been completed, nor completely defined, as of
> this writing.
>
> Each of these would become its own GIT repository, reducing the ties
> between these codebases in the GIT repository that is primarily geared
> towards complete OpenPKG application stack releases, and freeing up the
> ability to apply disjunct development and release cycles to each of said
> components, all consequences of such included.

+100!

Some words of explanation for those who wonder what is going on any why: The
current server.git repo is basically an OpenPKG repo. Most folders just
contain packaging stuff and the real Kolab components are in subfolders such
as kolabd/kolabd.

Basically these subfolders will become repos of their of their own, at least
the kolab core components. The loads of pear modules in pear/ will of course
not be separated. In fact we need to think about this and the webclient a
little more in depth.

We have already separated the creation of the source tarballs from building
the OpenPKG packages. Tarballs are now to be found at
http://files.kolab.org/server/development-2.3/sources/ (Kolab components) and
http://files.kolab.org/server/development-2.3/externals/ (dependencies that do
not live in our git). We did that to make live easier for packagers and as a
step towards to native packages. Splitting up the repo is another step in this
direction and I'm looking forward to make it happen with all of you.

Regards,
Christoph

--
Christoph Wickert