[Kolab-devel] (fwd) how to deal with quotas / suggested feature "monthly quota increase"

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Sep 29 10:10:52 CEST 2010

Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Zitat von "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:
> > I think there is also the 'threshold' - the "do not increase quota if
> > current usage is under X% or there is still Y megabytes left".
> >
> > The "current quota" is stored in Cyrus (maybe from "whatever" attribute
> > in LDAP was used to synchronize that quota from including 'cyrus-quota'
> > as well as 'mailQuota'). For this, no LDAP schema changes would be
> > required. The program, however, may want to consider the attribute used
> > to be configurable.
> >
> > The other config-value needed ($%-float / $int) does not have to be
> > stored in LDAP either if it applies to an environment; the value can be
> > set in a configuration file. If however (see below) this needs to be
> > tracker on a per- user basis, then yes, these users are in LDAP and so
> > their user-specific attributes should go in LDAP. I would, to prevent
> > creating administrative overhead, consider creating what's called 'Class
> > of Service' policies and (role-) templates.
>
> So having groups of users with the same settings? Seems reasonable to
> me and should probably solve most use cases. Did you have a rough
> schema layout in mind?

If you were to store the settings in LDAP, this would become a class-of-
service, or CoS, which can then be attached to a user; The CoS could contain
settings such as quota to start with (1024MB), as well as any type of quota
increase (given the variables above added to a CoS, like 10% monthly increase
if over 85% at the end of the month);

However, this functionality would be a milestone beyond the simplest
implementation; get quota, draw conclusion using "off-line" settings, update
quota setting in LDAP.

> >> Where should the script get these values from? They were meant to be
> >> set per user so I assume they would also come from LDAP right?
> >
> > I think they were meant to *apply* to a single user, but did not need to
> > be configured on a per-user basis.
>
> Gavin, can you clarify again if there is indeed a need for per-user
> quota increses or if that can be generalized into groups or even
> system wide settings?

Note that by "per-user" we're meaning to ask "do you require quota increases
and intervals to be different per OU tree contents, user or group of users?".

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG