[Kolab-devel] Bugzilla (Re: Native Packaging, Issue Tracking & Restructuring the SCM)

Sascha Wilde wilde at intevation.de
Fri Sep 17 12:27:58 CEST 2010

"Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com> writes:
> I would, still, appreciate a rationale stating why you have such a strong
> preference against Bugzilla, so that I can get an impression of what we seek
> in an issue tracker.

Hi Jeroen,

of cause I'm not Bernhard but I share his preference for keeping round
up (which I would consider "the tracker that sucks less").  Here are two
examples of features I consider important which I often miss from other
trackers, as for example Bugzilla in you current demo installation.  Of
cause Bernhard's own reasons might be very different...

- I want quick and simple, non discriminating, anonymous access to an
  complete overview of existing bugs.

  Your current Bugzilla demo shows a typical problem here: accessing
  https://bugzilla.kolabsys.com/ I see no list of bugs but a bunch of
  text, links an forms -- none of them indicating a way to simply
  "browse" all issues.  "Search existing bug reports" seems the best bet
  to me, even though I don't want to enter a search term.  So I leave
  the field empty -- which does not work.  Next link to try would be the
  small "reports" (like in "Bug Reports", but that turns out to be even
  less what I want.

  The only possibility to list all bugs I found so far is searching for
  a character like ".", hoping it will be in every problem report ever
  made...

  I'm pretty sure it is possible to do what I want with Bugzilla, but
  having to search that hard for it is already frustrating me.

- Even more important on my personal feature list -- and not supported
  by most trackers: I want a complete email interface.

  Email is the place where I get to learn about new issues and new
  comments on existing issues and I want to be able, not only to reply
  per mail, but also to do all the other fancy stuff possible in the web
  interface, including (but not limited to): assigning issues to other
  developers, adjusting priority, closing and other status changes.

  With roundup all this is this possible, it is not (to my best
  knowledge) with Bugzilla (or many other popular trackers).

As said before, these are only two examples, there are more -- for
example the clear UI of roundup, compared to the rather overwhelming
collection of options and selections in other trackers...

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde                                          OpenPGP key: 4BB86568
http://www.intevation.de/~wilde/                  http://www.intevation.de/