[Kolab-devel] Packaging the kolab-webadmin package

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Sep 15 18:22:09 CEST 2010

Thomas Arendsen Hein wrote:
> Additionally using git:// URLs will not be possible for many people
> sitting behind restrictive firewalls (could be true for some
> partners and many customers),

*some* people, not *many* people. I suspect one or two -if you can show me a
dozen I'm wondering where all their commits and comments are going.

> so they have to use the (to my
> knowledge, a short test with git.kolabsys.com confirmed this again)
> much less efficient http protocol of git.
>
> Though I must admit that the cgit web interface (compared to gitweb)
> that you use on git.kolabsys.com became really nice.

Yeah, I like it too (d'oh); It's a compiled blob written in C, and so very
efficient in it's resource allocations and very fast.

Since we have to use it for the participation of some partners, we also have
to use it for APT/RPM packaging efforts. I've helped Cyrus IMAP off of three
CVS modules earlier this week, and they are now using GIT -which will make it
much simpler for us to collaborate with them. We're using GIT to maintain our
OTRS development as well as our websites (mostly styling), our Puppet modules
and domain name space repositories as well; you can imagine how CGIT is faster
then gitweb given a larger number of repositories (try browsing
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/).

Anyway, I'm drifting off course here.

Kind regards,

--