[Kolab-devel] Bugzilla (Re: Native Packaging, Issue Tracking & Restructuring the SCM)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Sep 15 18:19:51 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch, 15. September 2010 17:41:02 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
Systems):

> > can you give the rationale for changing the issue tracking system?
> > I haven't seen it so far.
>
> In the OP I described that, amongst other things, it would be beneficial
> to; enable separate components their have their own roadmap, milestones,
> versioning,

Saw that, the relation to the tracker was weak.

> A list of requirements for an issue tracker are listed in the Summary
> section of the aforementioned wiki page[1], which I can only hope you'll
> find of useful assistance when determining whether Roundup or any other
> issue tracker may be the most efficient and sustainable path forward from
> where we are today.

Okay, I need to check it out then. You did not announce that the
workflow of bugzilla would have the requirement analysis of the tracker.

> While possibly not mutually exclusive with the use of Roundup, since I am
> very familiar with Mantis, RT, Bugzilla, Trac, OTRS and some of the lesser
> systems for issue tracking, I choose what is, IMHO, the best issue tracker
> to sustain the requirements for the Kolab community, out of those I'm very
> familiar with, to illustrate what I have started in OP.

I have seen many of those trackers as well, currently we are also using
Jira (I was forced to) and bugs.kde.org. And I have done thousands of
transactions on issues.kolab.org.

> > I have a strong preference against bugzilla.
>
> Would you mind explaining that statement? I understand it to mean you're
> fanatically against Bugzilla, but I'm not sure what the rationale behind
> such a strong statement could be; I haven't seen it so far.

If you understood my statement of being "fanatically against bugzilla"
without understanding that there could be possible reasons,
you must have meant your statement as being fanatically for bugzilla
as you also did not give your reasons either.

Given my experience and the current workflow of ongoing client development
I believe roundup is a better choice. I have not found bugzilla a good choice
in most environments I have evaluated or used it.

Workflow for development for us should be slightly modified of how it is
working today. I believe it is better to improve a system evolutionary,
especially when it is not broken.

> [1] https://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Bugzilla_Work_Flow

Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.