[Kolab-devel] (fwd) how to deal with quotas / suggested feature "monthly quota increase"

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Thu Sep 2 21:55:31 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) wrote:

> so what do you think of a concept such as Hierarchical Storage Management, if
> anything?

I like the idea, but I think it's probably a bit beyond our situation here.
It would probably cost us as much to provide the secondary storage as to
expand our existing storage.  If we were working on a larger scale I could
see make more sense.  Perhaps as our usage expands we might come back to
it.

> - Iterate LDAP users,
> - Compare their current quota setting to the actual mailbox volume,
> - Possibly, given a margin percentage (70% of quota?), trigger a quota
>   increase,
>   - Such increase using a formula such as "+20MB" or "+25%",
> - Enter the new value in LDAP,
> - Send reports to Administrators on quota increase + current mail spool usage
>   + current mail spool size assigned in cumulative quotas,
>   - Possibly limited to when mail spool usage approaches X% or Y% one way or
>     the other

This seems pretty spot on.  The +25% would be exponential increase which
I'd be less keen on, but I guess it's possible that might appeal to someone.

> What do you think of the above roadmap?

Looks reasonable.  Would you want it in perl, php, shell, something else?

Gavin