[Kolab-devel] CVS to Mercurial conversion

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Wed Sep 1 11:50:25 CEST 2010

* Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at kolabsys.com> [20100901 09:56]:
> The basic ideas behind my tag suggestions:
>
>  - Use the "server" prefix to identify the product. So far CVS just holds the
>    "server" product. But it is likely that there will be variants of this
>    product in the future (e.g. "hosted" or maybe "debian" or some such).
>  - Use the version number in the tag.
>
> So the most recent release tag would be "server.2.2.4".

I would suggest not using "server", because everything in this
repository will be about the server. "hosted" or "debian" would be a
server in the hosted or debian flavor.

So I think these are appropriate tag names:
2.2.4-rc2
hosted-2.2.4-rc2 or 2.2.4-rc2-hosted
debian-2.2.4-rc2 or 2.2.4-rc2-debian

> There was nothing specific to my branch name suggestions. I'm used to
> capitals because of the Horde project but to be honest I don't know if
> there exist specific conventions concerning branch names.

I don't think we need to use capitals to avoid conflicts between
tags and branch names.

>  - Is the listed mail address the correct one?

I will double-check with my information.

>  - I tried identifying the most recent mail addresses for the persons with
>    commit access. Is this what we want to use or should we use old
> addresses if
>    we are certain those were being used when the person was actively
> working on
>    the Kolab server?

Hmm, if the old address is a company address, we might want to give
credit to the company by using the old address, even if the
developer no longer works for this company or the company no longer
exists.

Having a current address has benefits though, but matching the
address used on kolab-devel at that time might be more valuable.

>  - Should we send a mail to all the people on the list and get verification of
>    the addresses?

I don't think so.

>  - Should we use Umlauts in the names or not?

I just looked at the username settings of our users, half of the
people having umlauts in their name use umlauts, the other half uses
two replacement letters. I got rid of my umlaut by marriage :)

At first I thought we should not use umlauts, but on a second
thought we should use them for inactive contributors (Stuart Bingé)
and ask current contributors (e.g. Marcus Hüwe) what they would use
in the future.

> I felt like a human spam bot when compiling this list :)

Spam, lovely Spam, wonderful Spam :)

> Thomas: To which extent is it possible to correct any of the information
> listed here *after* the conversion has been done?

Tag names:
  Absolutely no problem. The most current tag name will be used.

Branch names:
  Create a new branch from the old one, close the old branch.
  The old branch name will be visible when looking at old changesets
  though.

Email addresses:
  Not possible without doing a Mercurial->Mercurial conversion of
  the repository, which in turn will change the changeset hashes of
  all revisions following a changed email address.

> The suggested mercurial tag name is listed after the colon. This is
> just my suggestion. Feel free to suggest an alternative.
>
> -TAGS---------------------------
> V1-0-BETA-2:server.1.0.beta2
> kdab: server.2.0.pre_kolabd.1
> kolab-server-2-0-4:server.2.0.4
> kolab-server-2-1-0:server.2.1.0
> kolab-server-2-1-beta-2:server.2.1.beta2
> kolab-server-2-1-beta-3:server.2.1.beta3
> kolab-server-2-1-beta-4:server.2.1.beta4
> kolab-server-2-1-rc-1:server.2.1.rc1
> kolab-server-2-1-rc-2:server.2.1.rc2
> kolab-server-2-2-0:server.2.2.0
> kolab-server-2-2-1:server.2.2.1
> kolab-server-2-2-1-beta-1:server.2.2.1.beta1
> kolab-server-2-2-1-rc-1:server.2.2.1.rc1
> kolab-server-2-2-2:server.2.2.2
> kolab-server-2-2-3:server.2.2.3
> kolab-server-2-2-3-rc-1:server.2.2.3.rc1
> kolab-server-2-2-4:server.2.2.4
> kolab-server-2-2-beta-2:server.2.2.beta2
> kolab-server-2-2-beta-3:server.2.2.beta3
> kolab-server-2-2-rc-1:server.2.2.rc1
> kolab-server-2-2-rc-2:server.2.2.rc2
> kolab-server-2-2-rc-3:server.2.2.rc3
> kolab2:server.2.0.pre_kolabd.2
> kolab_2_0_tag:server.2.0
> kroupware:server.1.0
> pre_autoperl:server.2.0.pre_perlkolab
> proko2_m1:server.1.0.proko2.m1
> proko2_m2c:server.1.0.proko2.m2
> proko2_m3::server.1.0.proko2.m3
> --------------------------------

I found additional tags:
AFTER_KONSEC_ADMIN
BEFORE_KONSEC_ADMIN
start (but I think we will remove that anyway)

And I "kdab" seems to be a vendor branch, not a tag.

Since tag names will be adjusted after the real conversion,
discussing the names will not defer the conversion.

> The suggested mercurial branch name is listed after the colon. This is
> just my suggestion. Feel free to suggest an alternative.
>
> -BRANCHES-----------------------
> KOLAB_1_0: SERVER_1_0
> KOLAB_1_1: SERVER_1_1
> kolab_2_0_branch: SERVER_2_0
> kolab_2_1_branch: SERVER_2_1
> kolab_2_2_branch: SERVER_2_3
> suc_branch: SERVER_CUST_SUC
> --------------------------------

I don't know about the purpose of the KOLAB_1_0 and Kolab_1_x (where
is KOLAB_1_1?) branches, but the kolab_2_[012]_branch branches were
used for stable development, so I would name them:
2.0-stable
2.1-stable
2.2-stable

The suc_branch evolved as a feature branch from 2.2-stable, so I
would say:
2.2-feature-suc

Additional branches I found:
kdab (vendor branch)
steffen (vendor branch)

I recommend dropping both completely.

> Concatenated the authors from the different modules by:

In the first step, only the server module will be converted.

> Finally search different resources on the net for the most probable
> commiter names and mail addresses. Remarks added in [].
>
> -START----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> achim=Achim Frank <achim.frank at erfrakon.de>
> bernhard=Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>
> bh=Bernhard Herzog <bh at intevation.de>
> bo=Bo Thorsen <bo at fioniasoftware.dk>

historical: bo=Bo Thorsen <bo at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>

But maybe klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se (KDAB) already has enough
credits to warrant using the new address if Bo wants.

historical: danimo=Daniel Molkentin <molkentin at kde.org>

> david=David Faure <dfaure at kdab.com> [only commited in module "doc"]
> emanuel=Emanuel Schuetze <emanuel at intevation.de> [Umlaut: Schütze, only commited in module "doc"]
> greve=Georg Greve <greve at kolabsys.com> [only commited in module "doc"]

These three are not part of the current conversion.

> gunnar=Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de>

I really hope you got this one right :)

Yes, "jan@" would be fine, too, but he mostly uses the long form.

> khruskowski=Karl-Heinz Ruskowski <khruskowski at intevation.de>

> ljohansen= [?, no clue who that might be, only commited in module "doc"]
> ludwig=Ludwig Reiter <ludwig.reiter at intevation.de> [only commited in module "utils"]
> marc=Marc Mutz <marc at kdab.com> [most likely candidate, only commited in module "doc"]

These three are not part of the current conversion.
ljohansen is Lennart Johansen (was an intern at Intevation)

> marcus=Marcus Huewe <suse-tux at gmx.de> [Umlaut: Marcus Hüwe]

Needs reply for the umlaut (I think with umlaut is fine)

> martin=Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de>
> mathieu=Mathieu Parent <math.parent at gmail.com>
> michel=Michel Boyer de la Giroday <michel at kdab.com> [only commited in module "doc"]

michel is not part of the current conversion.

> richard=Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl>
> romain=Romain Pokrzywka <romain at kdab.com>
> schreiber=Arne Schreiber<arne at kdab.com>

schreiber is not part of the current conversion.

historical: stephan=Stephan Buys <s.buys at codefusion.co.za>

> stuart=Stuart Binge <s.binge at codefusion.co.za> [Umlaut: Bingé]

I think with umlaut is better here.

> tassilo=Tassilo Erlewein <tassilo.erlewein at erfrakon.de>
> thomas=Thomas Arendsen Hein  <thomas at intevation.de>

s/  / /
thomas=Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de>

> till=Till Adam <till at kdab.net>

All others are @kdab.com, we should use the same here.
Oh, and not part of the current conversion.

> tobias= [?, no clue who that might be, only commited in module "doc"]

tobias=Tobias Larsson <tobias at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>
(but not part of the current conversion)

> torsten=Torsten Irlaender <torsten.irlaender at intevation.de> [only commited in module "utils" and "doc"]

torsten is not part of the current conversion.

> wilde=Sascha Wilde  <wilde at intevation.de>

s/  / /
wilde=Sascha Wilde <wilde at intevation.de>

*phew*

Many thanks for the work on this.

Regards,
Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998