[Kolab-devel] merge5

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Fri Oct 8 17:14:45 CEST 2010

Zitat von "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:

> Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> Zitat von "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:
>> > Hello there,
>> >
>> > I need some feedback on merge5[1]. From the level of feedback received so
>> > far I cannot but draw either of two conclusions;
>> >
>> > 1) nobody's interested
>> > 2) nobody understands
>> >
>> > Regardless, unless feedback is provided, the result would be we drop
>> > the patch
>> > as soon as is humanly and technically possible, that being the 3.0
>> > milestone.
>> >
>> > I'll be available questions, meanwhile keeping the merge issue open, for
>> > another two weeks. After that it's out, over, closed.
>>
>> I don't think we can drop it this easily. Or do you have an actual
>> alternative to get the same functionality as provided by this patch?
>
> Yes, it's in the ticket.

I'm probably too dumb to get it from there :) But because of that I
added a request for a patch that can be applied to the kolab-2.2
branch so that I can test it. It would be much appreciated :)

>> As far as I remember from our last discussion we do not have this at
>> the moment and the merge issue describes no solution either.
>>

> You may remember incorrectly; while you changed some settings you did not
> change other settings (virtdomains, mailbox names, ACLs) to match the new
> semantics.
>
>> And I'm pretty certain we don't want to make our users - which may
>> very well be used to logging in via their short UID - unhappy by
>> suddenly denying them this option.
>>

> Define "suddenly" - it would be perfectly acceptable to set 3.0 as the target
> milestone to not ship this patch with, and start not shipping this
> patch while
> we work on 3.0.

If the functionality itself does not get lost and we have an
alternative I'm fine with doing it in 2.3, too. But concerning the
functionality that is affected here I'd say "suddenly" would be
anytime if we don't offer the feature anymore. I consider the feature
important.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Kind regards,