[Kolab-devel] Redesigning Kolab's web presence

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Tue Nov 23 10:09:28 CET 2010

Zitat von Paul James Adams <adams at kolabsys.com>:

> Hey Thomas (et al),
>
> On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 09:28:42 am Thomas Arendsen Hein wrote:
>> - News are gone from the main page
>
> Yeah, this is just a mock-up for a potnetial design. Don't worry to
> much about
> content for now. I will ensure people are aware that you would like news to
> stay at the front. I would like news to stay there, too.

Good :)

>> - Replacing news by random microblogging quotes might be hip, but I
>>   can imagine there are many pitfalls (e.g. spam or otherwise bad
>>   content).
>
> Why not have both? The microblogging does not have to be random. We can
> aggregate the tweets of people we know, love and trust. Or we can
> create a new
> dedicated-to-kolab.org account which is shown there.

"dedicated-to-kolab.org" would be good so that the content can be
controlled to a certain degree. I also think we should not display
things on the initial page that tell nothing to the users.

But having them in general is a good thing as this tells people where
they can follow progress via twitter if they wish to do so.

>> - Grey on grey is quite hard to read.

+1

In addition: blue has been traditionally associated with the Kolab
server and I wouldn't throw that away completely.

> I will point this out to Nuno and co.
>
>> - The big headline wastes precious screen space, please do not let
>>   your designers work with two 24" screens B-)
>
> The huge headline is just an example for the landing page. Like all
> things, it
> is open to dicussion. Even on my laptop (with 800 vertical pixels) it isn't
> /that/ bad.

The first headline is definitely too large. I barely see the menu line
on my netbook anymore. The second one is okay. I don't mind wasting
some screen space in favor of a "light" look. But it should definitely
still work on small screens.

>> Despite my critics above: Yes, a more modern and consistent look
>> would be nice to have.

+1

> I'm glad you agree.
>
>> While IRC meetings have benefits, this should not lead to "You did
>> not attend the IRC meeting, so do not criticise us now"
>
> Of course not. The short deadline is simply because we want to move this
> quickly. The timing of early evening was simply force of habit. Whenever I
> hold IRC meetings in KDE I always do them around this time. Yes, some people
> might be having dinner, but it means the meeting does not get in the way of
> the majority of the participants work days.
>
> Feel free to suggest a better time for on-going meetings.

Maybe we should keep comments to the mailing list? As far as I was
able to determine from the IRC log there was nobody beside Paul and
the design team. So feedback via the mailing list might be easier.

Cheers,

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wrobel