[Kolab-devel] KEP 2: Modification of datetime type, introduction of 'tz' sub-tag

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Nov 17 17:15:35 CET 2010

On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 03:32:58 pm Hendrik Helwich wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 17. November 2010 16:03:15 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
>
> Systems):
> > On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 01:58:08 pm Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> > > So it is an inconsistency, and a reason why I believe we should link
> > > this to the RFC that everyone else is using for this purpose, as all
> > > the operating systems that are network capable have built-in functions
> > > to read and write this format.
> >
> > I would argue this (the alteration of valid datetime notations) would
> > need to become a separate KEP, as it has to set rules on how clients
> > should, must or may preserve the original format.
>
> Hi,
>
> Why not keep the established UTC time format like it is defined in the
> kolab specification? It holds all needed information and it would not be
> necessary to adapt the kolab specification on that point.

Keeping exceptions to the rule is very costly, even though at first it may not
appear to be so. The difference here in this case is:

"We use this specific datetime format"

vs.

"Anything RFC3339!"

You can see how the latter makes all our jobs a lot easier (FYI, RFC2822 is
very much like "the other" format proposed, and we know how to parse RFC2822
already).

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--