[Kolab-devel] Instant Messaging Application

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Wed May 12 20:57:34 CEST 2010

> Well, as announced, we^H^HI put together the remaining application --
> the IM one. As could prabably be expected, supporting the Kolab
> architecture as it is now, we both stuck to Horde 3 and kept
> everything in IMAP.

You are quick with these :)

> To avoid confusion about attachments, we'll do it right this time :P,
> anyone feeling like trying it can just clone the public git repository
> at:
>
> git://twerp.unclesniper.org/yell
>
> As usual, the folks over here just want this in upstream Kolab and
> couldn't care less about whether or not it ends up in some Horde repo
> or the other (and I suspect our consistent use of H3 makes this
> feeling quite mutual :P).

Okay, so lets try to integrate it then.

To be honest the Kolab server did not get many contributions so far
that could be easily packaged. I admit I always wanted to have some
kind of plugin system but of course we never really found the time for
that. I just mention this in order to clarify that we also need to
establish the procedures for handling such contributions.

Some things are already clear however: We need to use the standard
packaging format which is RPM. And building of these packages is based
on source archives.

So you would need to provide such source archives and give them a
version number. Both tasks should be trivial.

I guess you could host those files somewhere but I'd rather like to
host them on files.kolab.org/contributions/sources. I added Thomas on
cc as he should probably comment on whether he thinks that is a good
idea.

Do you think you could build spec files as RPM package definitions for
your applications? They could be modelled after the other horde
package definitions so it should not be hard and I can help out in
case there are problems.

We might import these definitions into CVS under
server/contributions/kolab-webclient. Again Thomas could/should
comment here.

The resulting RPMs would be uploaded to
files.kolab.org/contributions/packages/2.2.3 if they are usable for
the 2.2.3 server version.

And if there is some time for it we could probably generate a small
shell script that allows to download and install such extensions
without much fuss.

Does that sound reasonable?

Cheers,

Gunnar