[Kolab-devel] zpush: name of the annotation

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Mar 25 15:09:45 CET 2010

[Just to indicate that there is a discussion going on for adding another
annotation, I am sending a copy to kolab-format at . ]

Am Dienstag, 23. März 2010 09:09:06 schrieb Georg C. F. Greve:
> Hence so far I'm still in favor of
>
>         /vendor/kolab/activesync
>
> as the name for the extended IMAP annotation, which could be re-used in
> case someone else (Horde?) came up with another activesync implementation,
> but won't taint the namespaces for other potential syncronisation
> protocols.

Okay, we need to put mobile device configuration on the server,
because activesync does not allow to offer the clients a way to transfer a few
settings. (If it would we could save the configuration on the device which is
something I would conceptually prefer.)

Any mechanism we invent to do so, should be as generic as possible
to maximise its use.

Because this is a limitation of activesync, the suggestion is to
use "activesync" as name for a IMAP folder annotation and to save within each
folder if it should be synced for a number of different devices.
This indication does not seem to be useful in general as
another sync method, let us call it betasync, might not need such a
limitation.
So up to now I am okay with using "activesync" as the name of the annotation.
I think it is okay to use an annotation, because this configuration needs to
be per user on all folders, including the ones that are read-only. An IMAP
server already has something similiar with the \seen flag, so it will be
doable. Using something else like a special IMAP object will pose problems
with doing this per user, e.g. because of the read-only support or it will be
farer away from the folder.

Am Mittwoch, 17. März 2010 09:04:35 schrieb Georg C. F. Greve:
>                 <BOOL>[;<SERIAL NO>:<BOOL>[;<SERIAL NO>:<BOOL>[...]]]
>
>         with <BOOL> = 1 or 0 (for yes or no)
>         and <SERIAL NO> = serial number of the phone
>
> to allow a per-device setting of synchronisation preferences.

Because the default will be to not sync a device, I think we can do this in a
simpler way like:

   {$udid} *{<SPACE> {$udid}}

where $udid is a unique device id not containing spaces,
which is similar to how entries are separated
in  /vendor/kolab/pxfb-readable-for
see
http://ftp.intevation.de/users/bernhard/scratch/extended-freebusy-concept-0.92%2Bdev20080503-ber1-pub2.pdf

In order to make device numbers unique we could propose prefixes in the kolab
space like "iphone-" or backendspecifics like "zpush12-".
So it would be come "iphone-123456" if we are sure that 123456 is a unique
iphone number.

So an entry like "iphone-123 iphone-789"
would mean the devices 123 and 789 would be synced with this folder, all
others would not.

Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.