[Kolab-devel] Completing ActiveSync integration in Kolab, and a request for input on IMAP annotatemore extensions

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 22 18:21:31 CET 2010

On Monday 22 March 2010 17:37:42 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Given that serial number just is a unique number, this looks universal to
>  me.

Ah, but this is an ActiveSync based serial number, from what I understood,
generated on the client through some weird magic.

So in the end the number will be ActiveSync specific, and we cannot safely
exclude namespace conflicts with other synchronisation schemes, e.g. one
ActiveSync phone having the same serial id as another phone with Cool2012Sync
while the user would want them to behave separately.

As we are unlikely to end up with more than 10 supported synchronisation
schemes (which would mean 10 annotations), the overhead seems manageable, and
keeping it focused seems sensible.

> Just out of curiosity: Where is the status of the sync saved in the z-push
> backend?

You mean the state & mapping of the objects? In database files in a specific
directory on the hard disk right now, one file per user, IIRC.

> I am asking because I think that should be a full cache, so if thrown
> completely away, the system should be self healing.

I am not sure what you mean by "system" and what is your scenario for "thrown
completely away" in the above.

For synchronisation the answers to the above would be largely dependent upon
the ActiveSync standard and the way it is implemented on the device.

Ultimately my experience is that attempts to self-heal are easy paths for
eternally replicating information, potentially tearing down your Kontact
client with thousands and thousands of duplicate entries.

Yes. I had this with the Funmabol connector once. It is not fun.

Sometimes dumber is smarter. ;)

Best regards,
Georg

--