[Kolab-devel] Completing ActiveSync integration in Kolab, and a request for input on IMAP annotatemore extensions

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 22 16:32:29 CET 2010

On Monday 22 March 2010 14:28:20 Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> > That is why the conclusion has been to put this into a private extended
> > annotation.

> Concerning IMAP the annotations are of course not the only storage
> space available. I would consider the folder contents to be a much
> more appropriate storage space.

Ah, yes.

Configuration management & storage in Kolab for third party integration.

I very much agree this would be worthwhile to have, although this will
certainly require a little bit more thought & work than we have available
under this project - at least if we want to produce tangible results in time.

> The main problem I see with using annotations is the fact that they
> are not meant to be used as a generic data storage element. The have a
> fixed string length. So once you start storing data such as
>
> <BOOL>[;<SERIAL NO>:<BOOL>[;<SERIAL NO>:<BOOL>[...]]]
>
> this hits a limit at some point. Concerning ActiveSync this might play
> no role as you can probably still store hundreds of devices in the
> annotation.

Yes, that was also our thinking.

Since every user can store hundreds of devices this way, we felt safe enough
for the moment, although I am fully aware of the curse that is on all such
assumptions in our industry ("nobody will ever need more than 640k of RAM").

> But from the purist point of view I would say it smells :)

I think it's not perfect, but substantially better than the alternative.

> As we are adding the second annotation of this type now I feel we
> should indeed tackle the configuration topic again in the near future.

Agreed. We might want to start collecting thoughts on this soon.

For the moment however we should think about how to make the extended
annotation storage work reliably as expected. Help for this would be most
appreciated.

Best regards,
Georg

--