[Kolab-devel] Completing ActiveSync integration in Kolab, and a request for input on IMAP annotatemore extensions

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 22 13:34:43 CET 2010

On Monday 22 March 2010 13:15:22 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> While the protocol is activesync, I wonder if using a more generic name
> would be have an advantage.

Other protocols would likely want to store different metadata, or at least in
different format. Since we would then be in a namespace conflict, this seemed
like the right abstraction level.

> We possibly have to make this more complicated.
> Note that anyone could just give you an ACL on a folder, so if the default
> is "yes", this means I can just spam your appointments by giving you a
>  folder that immedeately gets synced. So a default of NO seems to be the
>  better solution. Or something like YES for folders where in my personal
>  namespace and NO for all others.

Agreed.

> Is the serial number unique?

AFAWK, Yes.

> If I think about having two or more devices, is there a way to make that a
> client configuration option?

The current configuration layout allows to have as many devices as you want,
and individually set your synchronisation preferences for each of them.

> Arg, this brings me back to the much debated question of where should
>  client configuration go so. We never had a good conclusion on this one as
>  far as I remember.

There are two places where this information can logically go: LDAP & IMAP.

LDAP has been excluded for a wide variety of reasons which Thomas and Sascha
can highlight again if you feel the need to go through the motions one more
time. That is why the conclusion has been to put this into a private extended
annotation.

Best regards,
Georg

--