[Kolab-devel] New Evolution-to-Kolab2 Project

Hendrik Helwich h.helwich at tarent.de
Tue Jun 8 15:16:07 CEST 2010

Hello Kolab Developers,

i am also working on the project to integrate Evolution with the Kolab
Server and does have some questions related to reading/writing the Kolab
Xml format. I would be glad if you could give me some hints :-)

We need to transform the Contact Xml type of the Kolab Xml format [1] to
the vCard format and The Kolab Event/Task/Journal Xml type to the iCal
format.
We also want to integrate this converter code in the evolution code base
and therefore must have only "gnome-dependencies" like libXml2 and Glib.

Is there some code available for that purpose?
I think the reference code for doing this things on kde is located here:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdepim/runtime/resources/kolabproxy/
Am i right?
Is a similar gnome implementation available or is there some code we can
adapt to fit our needs?

I found this relax NG Schema in the kolab cvs repository:
http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/*checkout*/doc/kolab-formats/validation/kolab-storage.rng?rev=1.17
Can it be used for validation purposes? I wonder because i did not find
a link to it from the kolab format description page [1]. Is this schema
still up to date?

As it is defined here [2], it is allowed to write client specific tags
to the Kolab Xml. This client specific content must be preserved if we
convert the Xml to vCard/iCal and back to the Kolab Xml.
Is there a preferred way for doing so?
Are there any limitations on how the client specific tags can occur in
the Xml (e.g. only top level) or on its structure (e.g. only flat
elements) or is it allowed to write client specific elements at any
position in the Kolab Xml tree?

Thanks and Greetings,

Hendrik Helwich

[1] http://www.kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0rc7-html/index.html
[2] http://www.kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0rc7-html/x123.html

--
Besuchen Sie uns vom 09.06. bis zum 12.06. auf dem LinuxTag 2010
an unserem Stand „Fairtrade Software“ (Halle 7.2a. / Stand 123)!

tarent Gesellschaft für Softwareentwicklung und IT-Beratung mbH
Geschäftsführer: Boris Esser, Elmar Geese
HRB AG Bonn 5168 - USt-ID (VAT): DE122264941

Heilsbachstraße 24, 53123 Bonn,   Telefon: +49 228 52675-0
Weigandufer 45,     12059 Berlin, Telefon: +49 30 5682943-30
Internet: http://www.tarent.de/ • Telefax: +49 228 52675-25