[Kolab-devel] Object Interlinking Application

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Jun 7 12:34:24 CEST 2010

Quoting Mathieu Parent <math.parent at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Mailingliste TBits.net GmbH
> <mailinglists at tbits.net> wrote:
> (snip)
>> Perhaps, perhaps not. It would depend on
>> how it is implemented and to what extent
>> all the applications support it... But
>> seeing it as H4 is still far away (in Kolab
>> terms) and our little chat with Georg Greve
>> and Christoph Wickert turned up that Kolab
>> will quite likely move away from Horde
>> altogether, this is probabaly of little or
>> no consequence.
>
> Wow! Why? Can the reasons behind this proposition (it has not been
> ack-ed by dev team as I know) be shown here? Dropping Horde means
> rewriting everything from scratch (remember that freebusy and filter
> are built on Horde).
>
> I think this should be discussed here.

Simon just summarized a conversation with Georg and Christoph in a
short sentence and this might create a wrong impression.

Yes, there is a certain amount of discontent concerning the current
kolab-webclient. As far as I can tell this only concerns the user
interface of the web based groupware client. This is not too
surprising if you compare the Kolab Server web client to the web
interfaces of comparable server systems such as Zarafa or Open-Xchange.

Georg and Christoph are representing Kolab Systems and of course they
need to sell a solution that can actually compete with similar
servers. They are absolutely free to decide how to achieve that goal
and if that means moving away from the current kolab-webclient that is
fine.

But of course that also influences the main development which is
currently handled by Intevation. And as far as I can tell the people
at Intevation feel somewhat the same concerning Horde. So there exists
a certain possibility that Horde won't be the supported web client for
the Kolab server in the future.

It is very unlikely though that we will rewrite elements such as
Kolab_FreeBusy or Kolab_Filter. I do not really consider these
libraries to be "Horde" though. They are just PHP libraries. Yes, they
rely on some other Horde libraries but as long as they work fine I
don't see a need to rewrite anything in that area.

In any case the Kolab server is a free software solution and I'm
absolutely convinced that Intevation and Kolab Systems will keep it
that way. So there will be no barrier to further providing support for
a Kolab web client based on Horde even if the core companies involved
with the Kolab server choose to support something else. Look at
Kontact: It is not the only supported desktop client for the Kolab
server even though it is the only one directly supported by
Intevation/KDAB.

I personally also see the problems with the Horde groupware client
GUI. And I know it would be good for the Kolab server if things would
improve in that area. I still consider Horde a good choice for that
though. Mainly because I know how much work you need to invest into a
web based Kolab groupware client.

When I initially decided to work with Horde I was told that the Horde
code had been analyzed and it was considered technically difficult to
nearly impossible to get it to become a web client for the Kolab
server. I nevertheless choose Horde because I did consider it even
harder to convert any other existing solution or write one from
scratch. I still stick to that believe.

The above is just my personal view and feel free to correct me in case
I presented something in the wrong way. I just thought the one
sentence from Simon needed a bit more detail.

Cheers,

Gunnar