[Kolab-devel] Kolab Z-Push 0.2 only working one-way, mobile-to-server broken

Rene Mayrhofer rmayr at debian.org
Mon Jan 18 01:53:56 CET 2010

Hi everybody,

[Please CC me in replies, I am currently not subscribed to kolav-devel.]

I have been trying to get Activesync/Z-Push synchronization to a Kolab server
running during the past 2 days. The setup is inside a VM running Debian
squeeze with the most recent native Debian packages of Kolab and Horde. Z-Push
was taken from svn trunk today (and I also tried version 1.2.3RC with no
improvement), the Kolab backend 0.2 as linked from the Wiki page and configured
as described.
Test clients are an iPhone 3GS wiith OS 3.1.2, a Motorola Milestone (German
Android firmware 2.0) and a HTC Hero (with stock HTC Android Cupcake/1.5
including the HTC Activesync implementation). If necessary, I can add a Nokia
N95, a HTC Touch Diamond, and (probably within a week) a Nokia N900 to the mix
to cover all major mobile platforms with the exception of Blackberry.

All mobile clients currently show the same behaviour, indepedently of the
synchronization period (push, manual, or poll): they can fetch contacts and
calendar items from the server (either created with Kontact from KDE 4.3 or
using the Horde webclient), but no item created on any of the clients gets
synchronized to the server.
Unfortunately, the standard z-push log doesn't seem to indicate any particular
reason for this, which is why I am asking for pointers this way. RTFM would be
welcome, a request for more debugging logs better, or a "oh a we know that,
apply this patch" response obviously best ;-) I can probably help in creating
debug logs using different clients, although I am not much of a PHP coder and
thus reluctant to go into the code myself.

PS: There is a second issue of the Motorola Milestone not displaying the
option of synchronizing the calendar at all. Contacts can be selected and get
fetched from the server, but there is no calendar options. The same client
(built-in Android 2.0 I assume) works for both contacts and calendar when
connected to an Exchange 2007 server, though.

Any pointers would be highy appreciated,
Rene