[Kolab-devel] [issue4023] Size check before starting the archiving process.

Bernhard Reiter issues at kolab.org
Tue Jan 12 12:53:07 CET 2010

New submission from Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

This is about the wish to check the needed and available size on disk
before starting the archival of emails an objects.
(Split out from kolab/issue3747 (Better archiving function for a branch
(subtree) of folders)

msg22980:
|1) What would it take to add a dialog that estimates the free
|disc space compared to the maximum space needed?

Tmcguire wrote to me:
This would be difficult, see details below.
Details:
Currently, KMail does not provide reliable means to get the folder size of its
folders: Although there is a "size" column in the folder tree, that is size on
disk, and does not include size on the server for online IMAP.
So quite a bit of refactoring would be necessary to get reliable size
information of folders.
Getting the free disk space is hopefully not that difficult, but I haven't
looked at the details yet.
What I have no idea of is how to estimate the compression ratio, I don't think
that is easily possible. The dialog could only show total folder size compared
to the free disk space.

assignedto: bernhard
keyword: enterprise35, enterprise5, kde client, kkc
messages: 23065
nosy: bernhard, emanuel, ludwig, tmcguire
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Size check before starting the archiving process.