[Kolab-devel] Android client (Re: How to get involved?)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jan 12 09:50:46 CET 2010

Am Dienstag, 12. Januar 2010 07:48:42 schrieb Sascha Deutschkron:
>  Yes, I plan to write a local Kolab client for Android.

So the technical subchoice is: Do you want to base it on KDE Kontact,
which is the current leading Free Software Kolab client or do you want to base
it on a different piece of software?

If you aim for KDE Kontact, the next step is to see if you could get Qt ported
to Android. So far I've heard (not confirmed my self) that this will be
difficult, but not impossible, e.g. see
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4070 . Android apparently uses a Java based
GUI. It well may be too much for a single developer. But if you get Qt ported
on Android for good, you are certainly almost done and have a good result.
To go this road you would need to actively try to seek other people to take
part of the load of porting Qt.

The other road is to pick any capable IMAP email client which already is Free
Software and more capable with the Android Java GUi and extend it.

Best Regards,
Bernhard