[Kolab-devel] How to get involved?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jan 12 09:38:05 CET 2010

Sascha,

Am Dienstag, 12. Januar 2010 07:48:42 schrieb Sascha Deutschkron:
> thanks for your answer. Yes, I plan to write a local Kolab client for
> Android. Therefore I enlisted with this forum here because I thought that
> would be the correct place to start.

yes, this is the right place and you are highly welcome!
We would love to have an Android Kolab client and we have happy to assist you
with anything that you can assist you with! :)

> But the more I think about it the more
> I get the impression that I will have to start a new open source project of
> my own. Intentionally I wanted to join an open source community to achieve
> my plans. And I thought kolab-devel would be a community to develop Kolab
> clients. Was I wrong?
> If so, I will simply start my own little project.

You are absolutely right about that kolab-devel@ is the place to start and ask
any questions that you have. Occasionally you could also use kolab-format@ and
the user lists, e.g. to ask format questions or to announce your plans and
test versions for other users.

The wiki.kolab.org is open to take up your plans, finding and documentation!
We also offer to you the platform wald.intevation.org for file and SCM space
for your code, if that is useful for you.

Note that I am usually makeing a difference just in language between
community, an initiative and a software product. We as kolab-devel@ are the
Kolab server and client initiative a part of the Kolab community. We do
create several software products and thus we use several software
repositories and other infrastructure things.

> Sorry for asking maybe dumb questions but although I'm working with open
> source now for about 15 years, I never came around to join one community.
> And now that I finally find the time for it, it seems that I have to start
> my own community - right?

Well you do both from my point of view, you do join the Kolab Community and I
hope you will join our initiative on kolab-devel at . At the same time you might
or might not need your own repository, e.g. on wald for your new code. But
that depends on your technical choices.

Best Regards,
Bernhard