[Kolab-devel] How to get involved?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Jan 11 22:49:17 CET 2010

Hi Sascha,

Quoting Sascha Deutschkron <sascha at deutschkron.de>:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm a senior software developer - with a new toy: an Android phone.
> I'm also using and administrating Kolab Groupware Server for a
> couple of years
> now and I just love it.
> Naturally, I want to combine those three passions of mine - software
> development, Android, Kolab.
>
> Therefore, I want to write Kolab clients (calendar, contacts, tasks etc.) for
> the Android system (since I couldn't find any ready solution out there).
>
> How can I get involved? What do I need? How's the process?

Puh, broad question ... :) Let me give you my view as a client
developer (Kolab webclient / Horde):

I'd start with choosing the technology you want to use. This is
probably no easy choice. I could imagine the following options:

  1) having a local Kolab client on the android
  2) using a web based Kolab client
  3) Synchronize the data with the server

For 1) the easiest choice would be to look into Kontact: Can you
compile it for the android and run it there? Which fixes might be
needed to get it running? Kontact is by far the most tested and
feature rich Kolab client out there. So being able to use it with
minor modifications is the best way to go for a local client. Of
course you could also consider starting from scratch but in my opinion
coding a complete groupware client is extremely demanding. And for
Kolab you need all that Kolab Format reading, the IMAP caching and so
on and so on. Usually takes a lot of time.

For 2) you check how good or bad the current Kolab web client looks on
the android. What does it need to look better or be more useable?

For 3) you'd look into the different data exchange models the android
might support. Does it do SyncML or ActiveSync? Other forms of
synchronization available? Mind you: I consider synchronizing a lot
less effective than a real client. Synchronizing data usually
introduces another transport of data and as groupware data tends to be
complex each synchronization method usually comes with its own set of
problems.

In all three areas you can expect to be ongoing work to support mobile
phones. Once you chose the technology check if you can join the effort.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Gunnar