[Kolab-devel] Link commits into issues (was: Re: Poll: Kolab server switching to Mercurial SCM?)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sat Feb 27 23:08:02 CET 2010

Hi Thomas,

would it be possible to automatically update issues with corresponding
commits? We have that in Horde and I'm really missing that feature in
our issue tracker. Basically I want commit links to the web view of
the repository posted into an issue once the commit message contains
"kolab/issueXYZ". Would that be easy/possible once we switched to hg?

Cheers,

Gunnar

Quoting Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de>:

> Hi!
>
> I think everyone agrees that we want to get away from CVS, primary
> reasons for this is to be able to move files around without breaking
> their history and to get a single revision number to identify
> builds, which is important e.g. for automated builds.
>
> Although we will continue to use a central public repository, some
> of the developers (including Sascha and me) want the ability to do
> refactoring or bigger changes without interrupting the work of
> others or just do some local modifications for testing or for
> customers and still be able to commit often to save their progress
> and to split their work in smaller parts which can be reviewed more
> easily. Therefore (and for some other reasons) the next SCM will not
> be Subversion, but a distributed SCM.
>
> Main contenders for this are Mercurial (hg) and git, but for the
> following reasons we see Mercurial as the better choice for the
> development of Kolab Server:
>
> - Intevation has expert knowledge and operating experience in
>   Mercurial while only user experience in git.
> - The web interface offers simple and short URLs for downloading
>   single files or patches, this is already used with the viewcvs
>   interface for user documentation and for patches which have to be
>   applied to e.g. Cyrus imapd to add features required by the
>   server.
> - Usage of Mercurial is easier to learn for people already knowing
>   CVS or Subversion, because the UI is quite similar, see e.g.
>   http://mercurial.selenic.com/quickstart/ or
>   http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/CvsCommands
>
> So I would like to ask for short feedback (as I do not want to spend
> too much time on discussion if everyone already is happy enough with
> this) about what you think about switching to Mercurial.
>
> Please choose one of:
> +1 (I want it)
>  0 (I can live with it)
> -1 (I do not agree, please add a short rationale)
>
> Deadline for this poll is next Thursday, March 4th, 12:00 UTC.
>
> If we get a negative result, we will start a more in-depth
> discussion.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas Arendsen Hein
>
> --
> thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key:
> 0x5816791A
> Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck,
> HR B 18998
> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg