[Kolab-devel] topgit-equivalent for hg (was: Re: Poll: Kolab server switching to Mercurial SCM?)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sat Feb 27 20:58:29 CET 2010

Hi Thomas!

Quoting Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de>:

> New subject to keep the poll thread cleaner ...
>
> * wrobel at pardus.de <wrobel at pardus.de> [20100225 22:43]:
>> And if you find anything within git which you cannot find in mercurial,
>> go nag Thomas. He'll probably tell you how to do it in a nicer way in hg.
>>
>> Though... I still don't know how to get something like topgit
>> (http://repo.or.cz/w/topgit.git) in hg. Thomas? ;)
>
> I don't know exactly how to use topgit, but on a first glance it
> seemed more complicated to me than using Mercurial Queues (mq).

In a way yes. The work flow is more complex as the situation it
handles is more difficult. But it actually does not have that many
commands. So after a few rounds of initial patch queue management with
topgit I would say it is not difficult to use.

> Of course this might be due to the added feature of dependency tracking
> of patches.
>
> mq patch queues can be easily tracked as a separate hg repository,

"as a separate hg repository" is the crucial point that topgit avoids.

> no need to learn new commands here. And you can use guards to
> enable/disable certain sets of patches as a simple way of dependency
> tracking.

Been there, done that... guards don't do it. Actually they turn out to
be quite horrible once your patch queue is a little bit more complex.

> Alternatives are the rebase extension (distributed with Mercurial
> like the mq extension) or the tasks extension (currently not
> distributed with Mercurial).
>
> The choice of which extension to use should get easier in the
> future, see
> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/PatchHandlingUnificationRFC

This is a good page! It even lists the hg alternative for topgit:
pbranch. They have an introduction for it that explains what the
differences to mq are:
http://arrenbrecht.ch/mercurial/pbranch/intro.htm.

The wiki page is really nice as it lists pros and cons for the
different approaches. If hg really gets a joined extension that is
able to combine most of the pros while avoiding most of the cons: Nice!

Cheers,

Gunnar