[Kolab-devel] topgit-equivalent for hg (was: Re: Poll: Kolab server switching to Mercurial SCM?)

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Fri Feb 26 11:11:12 CET 2010

New subject to keep the poll thread cleaner ...

* wrobel at pardus.de <wrobel at pardus.de> [20100225 22:43]:
> And if you find anything within git which you cannot find in mercurial,
> go nag Thomas. He'll probably tell you how to do it in a nicer way in hg.
>
> Though... I still don't know how to get something like topgit
> (http://repo.or.cz/w/topgit.git) in hg. Thomas? ;)

I don't know exactly how to use topgit, but on a first glance it
seemed more complicated to me than using Mercurial Queues (mq). Of
course this might be due to the added feature of dependency tracking
of patches.

mq patch queues can be easily tracked as a separate hg repository,
no need to learn new commands here. And you can use guards to
enable/disable certain sets of patches as a simple way of dependency
tracking.

Alternatives are the rebase extension (distributed with Mercurial
like the mq extension) or the tasks extension (currently not
distributed with Mercurial).

The choice of which extension to use should get easier in the
future, see
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/PatchHandlingUnificationRFC

Regards,
Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998