[Kolab-devel] Poll: Kolab server switching to Mercurial SCM?

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Thu Feb 25 16:29:39 CET 2010

Hi!

I think everyone agrees that we want to get away from CVS, primary
reasons for this is to be able to move files around without breaking
their history and to get a single revision number to identify
builds, which is important e.g. for automated builds.

Although we will continue to use a central public repository, some
of the developers (including Sascha and me) want the ability to do
refactoring or bigger changes without interrupting the work of
others or just do some local modifications for testing or for
customers and still be able to commit often to save their progress
and to split their work in smaller parts which can be reviewed more
easily. Therefore (and for some other reasons) the next SCM will not
be Subversion, but a distributed SCM.

Main contenders for this are Mercurial (hg) and git, but for the
following reasons we see Mercurial as the better choice for the
development of Kolab Server:

- Intevation has expert knowledge and operating experience in
  Mercurial while only user experience in git.
- The web interface offers simple and short URLs for downloading
  single files or patches, this is already used with the viewcvs
  interface for user documentation and for patches which have to be
  applied to e.g. Cyrus imapd to add features required by the
  server.
- Usage of Mercurial is easier to learn for people already knowing
  CVS or Subversion, because the UI is quite similar, see e.g.
  http://mercurial.selenic.com/quickstart/ or
  http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/CvsCommands

So I would like to ask for short feedback (as I do not want to spend
too much time on discussion if everyone already is happy enough with
this) about what you think about switching to Mercurial.

Please choose one of:
+1 (I want it)
 0 (I can live with it)
-1 (I do not agree, please add a short rationale)

Deadline for this poll is next Thursday, March 4th, 12:00 UTC.

If we get a negative result, we will start a more in-depth
discussion.

Regards,
Thomas Arendsen Hein

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998