[Kolab-devel] Future of the Webclient: lets take a modest approach, dropping IMP and MIMP

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Feb 15 20:45:45 CET 2010

Hi Sascha,

Quoting Sascha Wilde <wilde at intevation.de>:

> Hi *,
>
> Thomas and I had a little talk on various aspects of Kolab and
> Kolab-Server, one topic was the web client and one immediate outcome
> was, that as long as we still use the current Horde3 based solution
> (which surly will be the case for a couple of releases to come) we need
> to get it as good and usable as possible with as few afford as
> possible[1].
>
> One important step to make this possible is to drop support for IMP and
> MIMP.  Currently we are advertising three variations of the web client
> on the login screen and all of them are having there specific set of
> problems and limitations.
>
> We want to concentrate on one of them to get it as good as possible.
> The natural choice is DIMP, as it is the most advanced with regard to
> user experience and a bunch of improvements have already been made,
> which are not ported yet to the other incarnations[2].
>
> What are the practical implications of this?
> - We will remove the choice between IMP,DIMP and MIMP from the login
>   screen of the web client.  DIMP will be used always.
> - Problems with DIMP gain higher priority, as the alternative IMP will
>   no longer be valid.[3]
> - Problems with IMP, which don't exist in DIMP might not be fixed.
> - Requested feature only have to be realized in DIMP, which makes them
>   more likely to get realized.
>
> We hope that we get by this a better tested, more stable and less ugly
> client until the time is ripe for greater changes.
>
> Any objections to this plan?  "Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace!"
> ;-)

While I don't have objections in general I'm still uncertain about the
specific course of action.

Right now it looks to me that we do not have a concrete
"must-have"-list for dimp. There are of course a few shortcomings we
already identified but to my knowledge we didn't have time for a
thorough analysis yet. Thus it is hard to estimate the required effort.

And I assume there will be some overlaps with things that have already
been completed in Horde 4 (e.g. support for PGP in Dimp).

I'm certain we will have a good amount of testing on the web client
anyhow. So if we are going to invest that it might be the better
choice to go for Horde4 even if that is not maximally stable yet.

I'm not at all saying that this is the best way to go. I just want to
consider that option which is why I'd like to add the corresponding
Horde4 packages as soon as possible so that we can evaluate it.

Cheers,

Gunnar